Monday, August 4, 2014

How I got my Start...

Healthier choices don't always come easy for a girl like me, especially since I really like – or should I say – love my sweets. It has been a journey that I have walked for the last year. So what have I done to get healthier you ask?

Well I'm glad you did because I really want to share. But before I get to that let me tell you where I have come from. This goes all the way back to high school. When I was in grade 11 I took a gym class that was geared to specific goals i.e. Getting strong, losing weight, etc. So I decided at that time that I needed to lose 10 lbs. Don't ask my why, because I was pretty thin, except I just didn't see that at the time. So I started working out which I found out I loved. But at the time I didn't really educate myself on how to eat properly I just ate light. However I could not resist those under-baked chocolate chip cookies from the cafeteria – they were so good!

When I went off to college I was in the best shape of my life. I was going to the gym 5 days a week working out for an hour and half to 2 hours a day. I could run for what seamed like forever and I did all the hardest workout classes. Those were my favourite and still are to this day.

But as it goes in college I put on weight, maybe it had to do with the fact that I was eating out pretty much every weekend. Needless to say as the years went by the clothes got a bit tighter and the hips and thighs got a little wider. I started working full time and had to drop my gym membership because of the lack of time. Over the years I had moved cities and was working two jobs. Did I mentioned my two jobs were in two different cities. I was working 7 days a week and I was tired. When I had down time I didn't want to work out but I did get a gym membership to see if I could get back to my old self. I found that being tired and trying to get up at 5:30 in the morning was very difficult. Still at this point I thought I knew how to eat properly – but looking back now with what I know now I see that I knew a little bit but I was still making a lot of poor choices when it came to food.

I was my heaviest after I had my first child weighing about 140lbs and with a 4'11” frame that was a lot of weight. I did lose a bit of weight with my second child but I was still very unhappy with how I looked and felt.

After my second child I met my now husband – and wouldn't you know he was a fitness buff who worked out all the time and ate really clean, no pressure really! But that was the start. That was when I realized that I needed to do something different and more importantly that I could do something different. Would it be easy – probably not – but was it possible – most definitely.

So what changes did I implement? How long did it take? What struggles have I faced? Well I guess you will have to wait till next week to find out.

Until then lets stay fab!

No comments:

Post a Comment