Saturday, July 26, 2014

Getting Back into the Swing of Things

So how does one go from a lazy minimal active vacation to jumping back into workouts anyways?  I know after a week off, the motivation level kind of dips a bit, and finding that motivation for the first workout is the toughest part.  Its funny I came back from my holidays tired - not rested and low on energy instead of being rejuvenated and pumped.  This had a lot to do with late nights, not sleeping well and early mornings (not to mention chasing after the kids).  

But here I am at the end of my first week back and I did it!  I got back into my routine (and I'm feeling way more rested).  So how did I do that?  Simple, I put no pressure on myself and I took it one day at a time.  I think that is the key.  We shouldn't stress ourselves too much over what we should be doing.  We shouldn't put the pressure of "I have to make up for my laziness"  on ourselves.  That kind of pressure is not motivating at all - it's more of a deterrent really. 

The first thing I did when I got back was do my grocery shop.  I made sure to stock up on fruits and vegetables and stayed away from the junk that I found myself snacking on while I was away.  That way when I prepared my meals and snacks for the week I had no choice but to eat healthy.  Though I have to admit I did treat myself to a cinnamon bun from Cinnabon (got to give into your cravings once in a while). 

As for my workouts, I decided on Monday morning that I would take it easy and ease my way back into my workout schedule.  I picked a low impact workout which was about 25 minutes in length.  I continued this for the for the week, mixing it up with cardio workouts, strength training and walking outside.  And because I wasn't going crazy and pushing myself too hard I found the energy and desire and work out every day.  

So that is it, that is my secret.  I gave myself a break, I gave myself permission to be lazy on my vacation, and I gave myself permission to take it easy for the first week back to real life.  


So now you know how I got back into the swing of things!

Amie

No comments:

Post a Comment