Sunday, August 17, 2014

What is up with my Skin?

For those who know me, you will know the battle I have faced with my complexion, for years I struggled with acne.

It started in my teen years, I always seemed to have a pimple on my face but it wasn't overwhelming or all over. I was using special cleansers for acne but nothing else. It wasn't until I got into my twenties that things went really bad. So off to the doctor's I went. My doctor put me on Diane 35 and my skin cleared up. I was on the medication for about a year and once I finished my skin was fine for about a couple of years after that. Then out of the blue my skin started to break out – but this time worse than before. It was horrible. I had a lot of big deep pimples and I would get a lot of white heads (gross). It was emotionally very hard to deal with because I was approaching my mid twenties and feeling very insecure about this “teenage” problem. So back to the doctor's office I went. This time I was prescribed Accutane. This was the last resort option by my doctor considering all the risks and side affects of the drug. With a little prayer I started my prescription and faithfully stayed on it for about 6 months with no issues. My skin cleared up and I was so happy with the results.

My skin stayed great until after I got pregnant for the second time. When I was pregnant with my son I started to break out a bit – not too bad – but enough to be annoying. I figured I'm pregnant this is what happens. After having my son my skin got better but when I hit thirty my skin started to break out again. Not bad like in my mid twenties, but I was getting those deep pimples again that take forever to heal. I was so frustrated. I didn't want to go back on Accutane knowing the risks, but I needed to do something.

That is when I decided to do some research. I hopped online and started searching foods that heal the skin. I made a huge list of foods that were rich in vitamin A, C, E, Omega fatty acids and zinc and started incorporating more of them in my diet. This is about the same time that I started to work out on a regular basis and increase my water intake. I also decided to cut back on how often I wore make-up and I stopped taking my multivitamin (which was advised to me by someone else who struggled with acne).

After about a month or so of these changes I noticed something, my skin looked good! Not only had the acne subsided but the scars were starting to fade quite a bit as well. It has been a year so far and my skin looks really good. I go out in public makeup free and don't feel self conscious or insecure
(which is so freeing). I do still get the occasional pimple – it happens to all of us – bit compared to where I have been these changes have been amazing.

me and my fab skin :)
I truly believe that what we put in our bodies will have an effect on our health and well being. I am not saying that if you struggle with acne or anything else to not refer with your doctor, you doctor is there to help you and guide you in what is best with your situation. I think we will all gain from making healthier choices. We will see it in our skin, our energy levels, even in our ability to focus and handle stress and so much more! 


I hope that this post has encouraged you in your journey to become fit to be fab!


No comments:

Post a Comment