Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Short Story

So I have a confession to make.  I don't like shorts.  I should clarify because I do wear them.  I mean I really dislike shorts that are any shorter than my knees.  They have to come to the knee or be a little longer. This is a must to be included in my wardrobe. Why you wonder?  This is a hard one to admit but I dislike my short chubby legs.  There I admit it.  I am not perfect. We all have our imperfections or things we wish we could change and this definitely is one of mine. 

Since I am in a confessing mood, I should also state that I have not bought a pair of mid thigh shorts since high school. And that's going back quite a few years. I have refused for years to allow anyone to see any thigh unless I was at the beach in my bathing suit. Even then I felt a little uncomfortable, I either sucked it up or covered it up. 

This week I did the unthinkable, I decided I was done with this.  Done with caring how thin my legs should be.  I took the plunge - went shopping and bought not one, not two - but three pairs of short shorts.  Now when I say short shorts I don`t mean the kind that`s so short that a little cheek hangs out in the back, but the conservative mid thigh kind.  Let me tell  you how freeing it is to just not care that I don`t have the perfect legs.  It felt good to put them on and you know what?  They actually looked pretty good, which was a really good surprise.

I was hung up for way too long on such a little thing.  Something that others probably really didn't notice.  We tend to be our own worst critic, and what we see in the mirror is certainly not what others see.  For too long I hated a part of myself that I didn't feel or think was good enough.  These feelings weigh us down and at times can even hold us back. I know that was the case for me.   Let`s free ourselves of the negative thoughts and feelings about ourselves, we certainly don't deserve to treat ourselves this way.

Since I bought those shorts I have worn them out in public and felt completely comfortable with myself.  I didn't think about what my legs looked like or what others may be thinking, I was just me having fun.   This was such a great and freeing experience.  It has built my confidence in ways I didn't think it could.  So much so that I was at the beach recently and felt completely comfortable and good about myself.

 I recommend everyone to take the plunge and face something that may be holding them back - a fear, a mindset, a negative thought, whatever.  But free yourself, trust me you will be happy that you did.  I know that I certainly have.  And I am so happy that I just took the short plunge. 

Lets all embrace our imperfectness and enjoy our uniqueness found in those imperfections. It will only make us stronger.

Until the next time stay fab!

Amie

No comments:

Post a Comment