Sunday, August 31, 2014

Easy and Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins


One of my favourite things to bake is muffins.  They are easy to make, healthy, great for breakfast or a snack and the kids love them!

 
I have tried a few different recipes and mashed them all together to make my own version.  So today I will share this simple and great recipe with all of you.  


Easy and Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or white all-purpose flour, or flour of choice)
3/4 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup coconut oil (or whatever oil you like to use for baking)
2 tbsp of flax meal (I grind my flax seeds)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar (I use a combination of white sugar and coconut sugar)*
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 chocolate chips
1/4 nut of choice (optional)
1/4 dried fruit of choice (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tray (or grease loaf pan). 

Mix all ingredients together.  Divide batter into muffin tray or place batter in loaf pan.

Bake for 18 - 22 minutes.  I usually check my muffins at the 16 - 18 minute mark to determine how much longer they may need.

Remove from oven when done and let cool.

Enjoy with a nut butter or jam for added flavour.

*Using only 1/3 cup of sugar does not give the muffins a sweet taste.  If you prefer them to be a bit sweeter use 1/2 cup of sugar.



Have fun and experiment with the recipe and make it your own!  Add different types of dried fruit, play with the measurements and see what you can come up with.  Share with me how you made this recipe in your own unique way.  I would love to hear back from you!



This is my kid friendly and fun version with blue bubblegum icing from Duncan Hines Icing Creations. The children really enjoyed having this as a treat!

Until the next time, STAY FAB!

No comments:

Post a Comment