Sunday, September 7, 2014

Can I be honest about something?

Struggles. We all face them. My struggle this week (because you know it changes time to time) is not feeling good enough. This battle in my mind takes over my thoughts and my emotions. Rendering me feeling hopeless, my goals unattainable, and not good enough to be successful, noticed and accepted.

I fall into the trap of comparing myself to those around me. I feel like I'm not thin enough, pretty enough, smart or ambitious enough. The lies and distortion halt me in my tracks. They leave me unmotivated and feeling pretty lousy about myself. Times like this are hard. I know that these feelings I have been facing this past week are only that – feelings. THIS DOES NOT DEFINE WHO I AM.

And I also know that next week I will probably be back to my normal self – feeling motivated, focused and confident in my abilities and capabilities. So what triggered this? I allowed myself to look at others and play that comparison game. I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else, and I think we are all guilty of this from time to time. We see someone else who looks better and we immediately put ourselves down. Why is that? Why do we compare? We are the ones who lose when we do this. We always tend to feel lower, less than, not good enough when we compare. Why can't we look at others and simply be happy for them or admire them, without it affecting how we feel about ourselves. And maybe some of you are able to do that. Not actually compare but see the good in oneself along with others around you, and that is awesome! But for me – I'm still working on getting there. I want to. I want to not fall into that trap when I see someone prettier, successful, more outgoing. I want to enjoy who they are as a person, without it affecting how I feel about myself.

Do I think this ideal is obtainable, yes I do. I think its a matter of changing a mindset. The mindset that says – yes I am just as good as that person, not less than - simply because of who I am.

I am strong, I am capable, I am perseverant, I am good enough! I know this because I have seen this in myself, others have seen it in me. I will remind myself that I am these things when I find myself playing that old dirty comparison game.

You know what? I am fit to be fab!!! And so are you! I hope that my honesty challenges you the next time you may find yourself playing that game. Remember who you are, and know that it is good enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment